Thursday, December 20, 2007

Nov 16, 2007 - 3 Days Pre-Op

Today I received a call from Trish, the nurse putting my file together for my impending surgery. I guess we would call this my pre-op consultation. She was very pleasant and asked many questions, on which I will elaborate later. It has been a busy week. All the preps are done, I am enjoying my liquid diet and I am ready to go.

First on Monday of this week I called my employers disability center. I do have 20 sick days, but if I am going to be out more that 7 straight, I must register a disability claim which is claim number 63494. This ensures I will continue to get fully paid for the 20 Personal Illness Payments. After the 20 days (if I am still convalescing) I can get 26 weeks of extended disability at 50% pay (up to 100% pay if my Manager approves, I hope I have done a good job!) I do not expect that I will need it, but it is good knowledge to have.

I then phoned my Medical Insurance Company to verify that they had all the proper approvals in place. I spoke with a very nice lady and she reviewed my record and ensured me that all approvals were in place and that they needed nothing else from me. That was way too easy and in past dealings with Insurance Companies, I hope this simpleness of this will not come back to haunt me. Getting approved seemed much to simple.

Wednesday I had my pre-op physical. Dr. Z is fantastic. He has been very supportive in this whole process. Much unlike my PCP in Albuquerque. She does not believe in this surgery and routinely spoke against it. That to me was very surprising and I still don't know what her problem with the procedure was. So I was poked (dang vampires), prodded, EKG'd and generally looked over. Oh yeah, two shots, flu vaccine and a Tetanus shot. Two days later and the Tetanus site site hurts. I am pretty sure the nurse enjoyed ripping the few hairs that I have out of my chest when removing the EKG probes. She had this evil smile on her face, and with every pull - said "take that!" I am just joking about that, but I did accuse her of enjoying that part a little too much. Dr. Z also perscribed some Ambien - I am having trouble sleeping. Probably a little stress - you think? Doc said I was ready to go, said I would do well and wished me well. I told him that I would see him in 30 pounds.

Wednesday afternoon I spoke with my good friend who is also a financial adviser. We spoke in depth about my insurance, investments, and what I wanted just in case I am not here on Tuesday. I have taken to calling that potential outcome "In case something stupid happens." The reality of this surgery is real and there is risk. Therefore, I have taken it upon myself to try to cover all aspects to ensure my wife is taken care of "if something stupid happens." Dave wrote my desires and wishes down, and we agreed to burn the document on next years vacation.

Which brings me to Friday. Three days to go before my surgery. 3 days before a major life changing event. As I wrote earlier, Trish called. She is from the hospital getting "My File" ready. She asked me lots of questions. Here are a few:

  1. Can you tell me in your own words what surgery you are having? I had kind of hoped they knew what surgery they were performing on me - but I answered "The Laproscopic R-N-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery. "
  2. Do you have a recent loss that you want to tell me about? That was a strange question. I told her about my dog Tucker, who died 3 years ago. She pretty much knew that I was a smart alek by this time.
  3. Do you feel safe around your house and neighborhood? That was a really strange question, and I probed her to explain the question. She said that some people have real fears in their house with domestic violence. I am glad that is not an issue I have to deal with.
  4. She was very surprised that I answered yes to the question, Do you have a living will? She stated that "Most" people do not have one, and that ask the question to prod folks into thinking about the need for one.
So now I am ready. Three Days. Lets do this.

No comments: