Thursday, December 20, 2007

Pre - Surgery Seminar

Monday evening my wife and I attended the Pre- Surgery Seminar. Two hours spent with Beth the Nutritionist and Roxi the Coordinator of the Program. I really like Roxi alot. The first hour was nutrition and what we will get to eat ( for the rest of our life) and more importantly pre and post surgery.

Ten Days prior to the surgery and 20 days post this will be my diet. Fasten your seat belts.

  • Cream Soups (reduced fat, thinned)
  • Tomato Soup (reduced fat, thinned)
  • Broth (chicken or beef), Consumme or bouillon ( fancy words for broth)
  • No sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast
  • Slimfast 2g Net Carbs (avoid Ensure or Boost)
  • Tea or Coffee (limit amounts and decaf is best) (Not)
  • Sugar Free Jello
  • Diet Custard, sugar free low-fat puddings ( Now I am pretty much a custard expert. My All time favorite dessert is Creme Brulee. Is "Diet Custard" even custard. This one is just plain scary.)
  • Low-fat sugar free Yogurt (without nuts, fruits or preserves) ( Probably really means without taste)
  • Sugar free Popsicles
  • Unsweetened fruit or vegetable juice (best to dilute half and half with water)
  • Cream of wheat (thinned) ( Yummo!)
  • Crystal Light, Sugar free Kool-aid
  • AVOID Chocolate Milk and puddings made with whole milk
  • AVOID carbonated beverages such as soda pop, club soda, sparkling water; caffeinated beverages, or alcoholic beverages.

That is one exciting menu. 30 days on liquids. Is diet custard even possible?

Roxi was next with the discussion of the surgery, schedules and what to expect. The surgery will be laproscopic so I will have 6 holes in me, one of which will be left open for a couple of days with a drain coming out to ensure no leakage from the staple sites. I should be home in three days with a one to three weeks recovery time. I was told to expect to be very tired and feel weak for a few days after surgery. Duh!

I actually was a very good meeting and I appreciate Beth and Roxi and their commitment to helping us.

No comments: