Thursday, December 20, 2007

7 Days Pre-Op

I am seven days away from my surgery. 3 days into the liquid diet again, It has really helped me not think about food. I am ready paperwork wise. I have a physical on Thursday. I always associate a physical with the words "Turn your head and cough". Why did they do that when we were in school. I never understood what the Doctors were looking for when they did that. It is not worse than a prostate exam. That is definitely worse.

I am trying to assess where I am mentally with this surgery. I have been edgy this week. As one who has never experienced the joys of anesthesia or flesh parting as a scalpel finds its mark, that still seems to bother me. Also dealing with my own mortality has been a bit of a strain. Think about this, I mean really ponder it. What would you be doing if you chose to have a surgery, that you could die from. Nationally - 1 in 100 die from this surgery. What would you do? What plans would you make? Who would you talk to? Whom would you reach out to?

I called a good friend today. Dave and his wife Sherry are like family. In fact, if I could choose a brother, it would be Dave. We are already Brothers in Christ. Somehow, if I had the option, I would select Dave to be my brother. He promised to help my wife, OK, let us just say it, if I die. I asked him to. I don't think I had to ask, he would have any way. But I needed to know that someone would be there to help Sandy if something stupid happens next Monday. We are going to talk tomorrow. He is going to take notes to ensure he knows what I want for my wife, if I am not here in a month. We agreed that Sandy and I would go to Alaska next year so Dave and I can but those notes while fly fishing for monster trout, but I am glad he and I can talk about these things.

I am going to post my picture today. It will be the last photo taken prior to my surgery. One last reminder of myself in all my largeness. Let the shedding of pounds begin. I have many friends and acquaintances that I know are Praying for me. That is the most important thing to me. That will help me the most. I have a beautiful wife and am living an incredible blessed life. I am one lucky man.

No comments: