Sunday, March 9, 2008

Nov. 20, 2007 - Midnight to Noon - I am Thirsty

I am thirsty.

I could end this blog right here and that would sum this morning up. I will repeat, I am thirsty. I have had nothing to drink since 10:30 on Sunday night and it is now 0630 on Tuesday Nov 20th and my throat and mouth is so dry. Sure, I have been on an IV, I have the Foley Catheter properly installed (a story which I will elaborate upon) and I am involuntarily moving bodily fluids. But my mouth is dry and my throat hurts and I have just been told that I can have nothing to drink until my "Swallow Test" (get your minds out of the gutter right now), Which is at least 5 or 6 hours away.

The pain is still pretty severe after 2 or so hours of Karen's and now the wonderful Jennie's visits. They have been keeping on top of the pain. Today I also realized I have the On-Q Pain Buster around my neck which is providing pain meds subcutaneously to the areas of the most internal work. This morning I really started feeling the gas bubble in my torso (used to "Pump me up" so the Surgeon has room to work inside me. I am starting to have trouble differentiating the pain - is it from the cuts and mods or is it from the gas? I have a sharp pain in my left collarbone area, which I am sure is from the gas. That keeps coming back with the mid-torso pain. It will be around for a few days I am sure.

Crystal came on around 7 AM as my new nurse, she is also training Polly. Polly Pureheart! There's no need to fear, Underdog is here! Crystal and Polly will be with me for the next 12 hours or so. These nurses are amazing. They work so hard and have to take so much crap from people. I hear the nurses outside tell each other I am a great patient, so I don't want to ruin that. They really have taken care of me so well.

I am thirsty.

We were informed that my swallow test "may" occur around 10:30 AM. That is a milestone. Many things occur when you pass that test. First on my list is I get to DRINK WATER. Did I mention that I was thirsty? One ounce of water by mouth for 16 hours after I pass the swallow test. Bring on the test! At that time they will remove my catheter. Oh joy! Two attractive women, getting to see me in all my post-operative glory, removing approximately 18 inches of poly tubing strategically placed inside my lower nether regions. I am not looking forward to that part, but Bring on the test!

I have walked already a couple of times today, walking feels good and I am so "upright". I decide to sit in the uncomfortable chair in preparation for the wheelchair pusher girl to come and get me. It is 10:25 AM.

10:30 AM I am thirsty and no test. Bring on the test!

11:00 AM and no test. I am still thirsty and my back is starting to hurt. Bring on the test!

11:30 AM and no test. I am still thirsty, my back hurts, my shoulder hurts, my stomach hurts and I am getting cranky and I can no longer focus on the television. For the love of all that is good, would somebody please bring on the test!

11:45 AM and no test. I am still thirsty, my throat hurts, my lower back hurts, my left shoulder hurts, my stomach hurts freaking everywhere and I am really cranky, the TV is a blur and for the sake of all the poor little starving children in the world, Crystal - Bring on the Morphine - screw the test.

The swallow test will happen when it happens. Time for Jim to nap. The pain is gone, Crystal is my best friend, and I am still thirsty.

No comments: