Sunday, March 9, 2008

Nov 28, 2007 - I Get to Chew!

I was going to put off writing today, but after this morning experience, I have decided to post. As a morbidly obese person, I have never really much thought about chewing. Hell, as a 210 pound football playing stud I never much thought about chewing. Open mouth, bend elbow, insert food using food delivery vehicle, grind, mash, and swallow.

Wikipedia defines chewing as:

Mastication or chewing is the process by which food is mashed and crushed by teeth. It is the first step of digestion and it increases the surface area of foods to allow more efficient break down by enzymes. During the mastication process, the food is positioned between the teeth for grinding by the cheek and tongue. As chewing continues, the food is made softer and warmer, and the enzymes in saliva begin to break down carbohydrates in the food. After chewing, the food (now called a bolus) is swallowed. It enters the esophagus and continues on to the stomach, where the next step of digestion occurs.

Cattle and some other animals, called ruminants, chew food more than once to extract more nutrients. After the first round of chewing, this food is called cud.

Now first and foremost, I think chewing sounds much more pleasing that mastication. So for you science types, when I say chewing, you can substitute mastication. Last night I paid attention to chewing, thought about chewing. Downright enjoyed chewing. I have been on a high protein, liquid diet for 18 days, and yesterday I was released to chew. Notice I did not say, "Get real food". Did not mention purees. I GET TO CHEW! I love to chew.

My first meal was a soft scrambled egg and a piece of string cheese. A true masterpiece in the culinary world. Huevos con queso. One egg and one minuscule piece of cheese, and I asked SWMBO (She who must be obeyed) for a doggy bag. One egg and I had leftovers. That is really funny. But I was satisfied, satiated, not overfull, but very pleasantly comfortable. From this day forward, I am gonna be one cheap date. Excuse me waiter, I would like a cup of soup, a 4 oz steak and a doggy bag please. For dessert? How about one curd of cottage cheese? That did it, I am stuffed.

I had huevos con queso again for breakfast today. 2 more meals and 2 high protein snacks left today. But whatever the outcome, I get to chew.

Bon appetit!

No comments: