Sunday, March 9, 2008

Nov. 20, 2007 - Noon to Midnight - Anticipating the Flow.

I awoke to the wonderful sight of Wheelchair Pusher Girl. I am sure they have an official title, but all I know, at that point in time, is that she will be called Wheelchair Pusher Girl and that Wheelchair Pusher Girl = the test and passing the test = water therefore, Wheelchair Pusher Girl = water in my current 4 mg of morphine one hour ago hazed mind. My high school algebra teacher would be happy. Let us review, if A=B and B=C, then A=C. On to the test.

So as best as we could, we gathered up the IV pole and machine attached to my left hand, the catheter bag attached to my, well you know where that is attached and my oxygen tank attached to my nose, and off we went to XRay. 5 floors down, to the left, or was it right, left turn again through the automatic doors, I got to push the button, and parked in the hall outside of the Swallow Test room. Oh yeah, I had my file (one large binder) in my lap also.

The swallow test, is a test infront of a GE digitized XRay machine, where I am bestowed the awesome task of drinking this Barium Sulfate concoction. Barium sulfate is radioopaque (x-ray absorbent), used in X-ray diagnostic work for obtaining images of the digestive system ("barium meals" and "barium enemas"). Thank you Mr. Wiki. Now Crystal (God love her) in her obvious brilliant wisdom has prepped me for this with another shot, that will prevent nausea, because this Barium crap is supposed to be so foul tasting, horrible, awful, save the women and children, and just downright bad. At this point I am so thirsty, I might even consider a liquefied cat crap cocktail, so I am not too fearful of this XRay drink. I have to stand infront of an XRay machine while I drink the stuff so the Dr. can watch it pass though my system. If it flows correctly to where it should, I pass. If I pass, I get water, if I don't, well, I won't even think of that right now. I was always good in high school at tests. I have always been great at drinking, and this is a drinking test. Should be a piece of cake.

Let the test begin, I am in the machine and take a normal sized swallow of this golden elixir. The muscles in my face contorted into positions that I am sure they have never been in before. How can something that looks like Golschlager taste like???? I don't even know what this tastes like. There is nothing that can explain it, and now " Dr. This Stuff tastes like reconstituted second-hand hell" wants me to drink again. All I am thinking, is water, water, cool, clear Omaha Metropolitan Utility District City tap water. So I take my second drink, again the similar facial reaction, and I hear those magic words, you passed!!!

Thunder and lightning, fireworks, I get water!!! Now where the heck is WheelChair Pusher Girl, I gets me some agua!

Back to the room and there she is, in her radiance, My Crystal, with that beautiful plastic graduated 1 ounce cup filled to the brim with cool, clear Omaha Metropolitan Utility District City tap water. Imagine my disappointment when I realized how small a portion one ounce of water was, and how quickly my disappointment returned to joy as that first tiny sip slipped past my parched throat. I was going to enjoy this slowly. Crystal brought me another prize also. Now that I could ingest orally, the pain would now be crushed by my new friend, Loritab Elixir. Basically Liquid Vicodin and Tylenol. That stuff made me Mr. Pain No More and worked awesome.

As soon as I was starting to feel the effects of the Loritab, Crystal and Polly were back, much to my chagrin, to remove my Foley Catheter. No, please do this in my sleep, I promise, I won't be mad. Nope, gonna do it now and Polly (the trainee) gets to do it. Great. After some fumbling with "My Guy" I am told to take a deep breath, and blow out slowly and away Polly pulls. I swear I just peed myself. That is what it felt like. When I realized that I hadn't I just smiled shyly, thanked them and hoped deep in my heart that I would never have to do that again. Crystal reminded me that the next milestone was passing water. Peeing. Urinating. And that would turn out to be the scariest of all.

Tami relieved Crystal and Polly. Lord, all I want to do is pee now - please?

No comments: