Sunday, March 9, 2008

Jan 6, 2008 - Consternation


What a wild ride. Amazing wild ride. Starting with the most asked question - I had my one month post op appointment with my Surgeon today (really 7 weeks) and I am down 66 pounds. Who would have thunk it. 66 pounds. I am feeling great, exercising at least 3 times per week. Lost 2 shirt sizes and 8 inches in my waist. It is just the beginning of the journey, yet it feels as if it is happening so fast. And it is.

Now for all the positives of the Gastric Bypass there are some real and difficult potential side effects. So kids, gather around, today we are going to learn about the side effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery and the one that seems to be affecting me the most.

According to http://www.bariatricsurgerypittsburgh.com/surgery/side_effects.html Gastric Bypass Surgery can have the following side effects.

As a regular guy, I am pretty sure the pregnancy side effect will not bite me. But, I as a GBS patient have to be on the lookout for the others.

Nausea and Vomiting

I have experience the nausea and vomiting twice, so far. Both times at business lunches, of which, I am sure my business associates very much appreciated. The first was with this beautiful fresh, raw Ahi tuna. 5 pieces, $13.50. I got one piece in me, one piece and was waiting as I usually do to see if my tool would agree with my taste buds as to how great this fine piece of fish tasted. It didn't. I had pain, and I knew, rather instinctively, that this was not going to be a great experience. So I excused myself, wandered off to the mens room and prepared for the worst. I was however, mildly surprised. As I leaned over the loo, ensuring my tie was out of range, I felt the beginnings, opened m mouth, and had a very minor spew. Not the gut wrenching, body contorting, pulling my two guys down there up into my body type of vomit, but just a spew. Oops, there was one more. Spew. All done. Not what I had expected. The act was not horrible. But it makes sense. I now have a 60 cc pouch, not a 1500 cc stomach. When something goes wrong in the 1500 cc version, muscles twist, guts churn, balls flee in terror, innards regret and it is horrible. Now just spew. Not so bad.

Second nausea, grilled cheese sandwich. 2 bites. Not good feeling. Spew. That was it. Spew.

Dehydration

Drink your freaking water. I have not been dehydrated yet. My doctor says 64 ounces of fluid per day. For those of my readers in the UK and Norway (and I know you are out there) - that is also 64 fluid ounces. See how good my metric conversions are. I have been having trouble getting all 64 in me. As we have to sip, sip, sip, 64 ounces is a lot of water. I have been getting between 40 and 64 and have not had any dehydration problems.

Food Intolerance

I have had no manifestation yet, of food intolerances. But, (theres the big but) I have followed very closely my Doctors recommendations for food. I have not really stepped out of the box. I have read that approximately 1% of us will develop lactose intolerance. Foods that are dry (roast beef, turkey, other meats), sticky (peanut butter), gummy (fresh bread), or stringy (chicken, celery, fibrous fruit, and vegetables) seem to present the biggest problems for most GBS patients. Please God - don't make me intolerant to peanut butter!

Dumping Syndrome

This has yet to happen to me and this one is really scary, yet I have this really strange desire to eat something that may cause me to dump, in a controlled environment so I know what to expect out of a controlled environment. AM I STUPID, OR WHAT! For those of you that don't know, this is what dumping is:

A condition known as “dumping syndrome” can occur as the result of rapid emptying (“dumping”) of stomach contents into the small intestine. This is triggered when too much sugar or very greasy (fried) foods are consumed.

Although it is not considered a serious risk to health, the symptoms of dumping syndrome can be extremely unpleasant. They include nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness, tiredness, diarrhea, rapid heart rate, and stomach cramping after eating. GBS patients usually say the symptoms make them feel “like I want to lie down and die for a half hour.”

Why would I want to experience this?

Changed Bowel Habits

Crap! This one really bites. Let me tell you, pre-op I was one regular guy. If you know what I mean. This side effect has really been the one that kicks my butt, literally. Constipation, that little secret that keeps us BOUND together. In my best text language, OMG! So for the past few weeks I have been working on the formula that works for me. My Doctor offered me the laxative, nooooooo, not the L word. I politely declined and have proceeded to work this one out. I started with an over the counter stool softener. Added a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed to my protein shakes and every other day and drinking a pro-biotic drink. It is better, much better now, but still not perfect. There is also psyllium husks, but be careful, if you don't drink enough with those, they will just bind you more. On a good/bad scale, that would be very bad.

Pregnancy

As quoted from Kindergarten Cop - "Boys have penis's and girls have vagina's". I am a boy. Enough said.

Cold Intolerance

Less fat = less insulation. Less insulation = I am freezing my butt off. Living in Nebraska now, in the winter, My guys routinely are hibernating, looking for warmers locations. So I do not know if its Nebraska, or GBS, but I am freezing my butt off.

Transient Hair Thinning

About half of women who have undergone GBS notice the thinning of their hair. Sorry girls. It seems to occur between 2 and 10 months after surgery. Make sure you are taking your vitamins and ensure you are getting your protein. I have also read that zinc and biotin supplements help - but check with your Doctor as I am not one, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Caution with Upper Endoscopy

I am going to quote directly from the website for this.

"After gastric bypass surgery, the anatomy of the GI tract changes permanently. Access to the disconnected stomach (gastric remnant) and duodenum may be required in the future for tests like EGD or ERCP to diagnose rare problems such as ulcers, bleeding, cancer, or bile duct problems.

Because access to the disconnected portion of the GI tract is very difficult with the current technology, laparoscopic surgery may be needed to assess this part of the GI tract."

Along with this comes the subject of Strictures. Before my surgery, I did not see al lot written about strictures, but it seems as if many of my GBS brothers and sisters have had strictures. This, as I understand it is a closing of the anastomoses (the hole). It can be easily treated but needs to be watched for. Treatment requires and endoscope and the expansion of the stricture, and it seems that those that have one, often end up having several.

So, here I am, seven weeks post-op. I am standing taller, walking faster, loving more (woohoo) and feel great. Even with the few side effects that I have experienced, I would have still had this surgery performed. I know the surgery, along with my hard work and following of directions, is going to help me to live a long and healthy life.

No comments: