Sunday, March 9, 2008

Feb 24, 2008 Plateaus - Oh, the Beauty and Granduer!

I looked up plateau in Wikipedia today. Wiki said Plateau has several meanings: Often when we read of plateaus, we read of its beauty, its grandeur. The majesty of that "imposing precipice and its surrounding geological glory. The incredible spires rising to the heights that overwhelm the senses.

John Wesley Powell wrote about the Markagunt Plateau in his Exploration of the Colorado River and its Canyons.

"On the north there is a pair of plateaus, twins in age, but very distinct in development, the Paunsagunt and Markagunt... The stupendous cliffs by which these plateaus are bounded are of indescribable grandeur and beauty... Some of the plateaus carry dead volcanoes on their backs that are towering mountains, and all of them are dissected by canyons that are gorges of profound depth. But every one of these plateaus has characteristics peculiar to itself and is worthy of its own chapter."

Lofty, beautiful and serene. Sounds so nice and wonderful. Let me give you a different definition of plateaus.
A plateau refers to an extended period of time during our weight loss efforts where there is no weight loss according to the scale AND no loss of inches according to the tape measure.
Let me say now and out loud. I hate plateaus. Plateaus Suck.

I have been on a plateau for the past 5 days. Have not lost a pound. Not an ounce. At least I have not gained an ounce. I have not increased my eating. Not increased drinking of any sugar drinks. Doing nothing different, but I am in a stall. Going nowhere real fast. As we used to say in the Navy - "Standing Fast". How really does one stand fast anyway? I never really understood that one. I am on a plateau and I hate it.

www.gastricbypassfamily.com talks about 2 different kinds of plateaus.

There are two types of plateaus that occur. The first plateau is the short plateau, lasting 2 weeks to 4 weeks. The short plateau is the kind that all active "dieters" run into throughout their weight loss efforts. It is not necessary to make adjustments for this type of plateau, because your body is simply re-adjusting to your new weight. Over time (2-4 weeks) you will naturally start losing weight again, as long as you continue your healthy diet and exercise program. Patience is all you need to get past a short plateau.

The second type of plateau is the long-term plateau, which lasts for longer than 4 weeks. If you go for more than 4 weeks without losing weight, AND you are continually following a nutritious diet and exercise program (in short, you are doing everything perfectly), then you need to make some changes. A plateau lasting for longer than 4 weeks is because you are no longer asking your body to go beyond its point of comfort. Let me explain this further: When you first start a new way of eating and a new exercise program, everything is a total shock to your body. All of a sudden you are filling the body with good healthy food full of nutrients, and you are pushing your body so that it responds to physical activity. You burn a high number of calories because it requires a ton of effort just to do simple exercise. Over time, you adjust and become more efficient at exercise, and it no longer requires the same amount of calories that it once did. If you do not change your activity, and continue to eat the same amount of food, you will eventually stop losing weight. The same principle applies to food. If you cut your calories down to 1500 per day, and lost 15 pounds this way, your new weight may use that 1500 calories for maintenance now, rather than weight loss. It's as simple as calories in = calories out.

I spoke with my program coordinator and believe I may even have a different issue going on. SWMBO has been on me lately to eat MORE. (She is real smart by the way) (oh, cute too) More you say. Yes, I said more. I am working out three to four times per week. Burning 300-400 calories per workout. I believe my body thinks I am starving and going into some type of protection. Slowing down my metabolism and protecting me. Roxi (GBS Program Coordinator) wants me to increase my calories to 1100-1200 per day. This is going to be hard and I am struggling to get 800 in me every day right now. But increase I will. 1100-1200 calories per day, here we come(still not cookies, shame on you). Good, healthy lean protein, low carb calories. So I will continue to keep you informed as the pounds continue to shed, post plateau, of course.

By the way, did I mention that although beautiful, plateaus blow chunks!

Current Status - 97 days post-op. 108 pounds lost forever. Down 3 Shirt Sizes. Down 14 inches in my pants, ummm, errr waist. Thanks Toony!.



No comments: