Sunday, March 9, 2008

Dec 19, 2007 - The Lesser Man

What an amazing four weeks. It has gone so fast. Every day I am becoming a lesser man. I know that doesn't sound right. Lesser in size, and mass. Not in mind and spirit. I made SWMBO (She who must be obeyed) laugh a couple of days ago when I put a pair of shorts on and took 3 steps and they fell off. Puddled around my ankles. I am down 2 shirt sizes and 4 inches in my trousers. Segway - Wicked witch of the west, I'm melting, I'm melting. Segway - back to topic. Fifty pounds gone, forever. Never to return. Ahhhhh - deep sigh of relief.

I did have my first vomiting experience yesterday. One thing I have found out, is when my tool doesn't like something, I get immediate feedback. For those of you that are continuing on to have this procedure, remember this. Every time you try a food that you have not had since the surgery, go slow, it is a brand new experience for your tool, for that new pouch of yours. The feedback for me is immediate and swift. I was out for a business lunch. I am very open about my surgery, so my lunch mate knew about it. I had ordered a sushi grade ahi tuna sashimi style with a remoulade - yes its raw, get over yourselves. The sauce was sweet - bad juju. I took three very small bites, chewed very completely and waited for the results. Within a minute or so, I knew this was not going to be pleasant. The tuna was fresh and excellent, pre-op I would have loved the sauce. I excused myself and proceeded to the loo. (That was for my friend five-wises). Felt the internal bubbling and proceeded to spew.

Now this was not as bad as I expected. There was no gut wrenching twisting and turning of a large sick stomach. I just kind of opened my mouth and out it came. Ok. Not horrible. One spew later and I was done. I felt better, tool feedback controlled and done. $13.50 wasted, there were 4 pieces on the plate still and one chewed piece in the jon. Expensive lesson. I should have ordered the soup. Now I am however, kind of bummed. Pre-op I adored sushi and sashimi. I hope this is not my future for the raw fish. In a couple of months I will try again, but for now, I will be passing on the raw.

Another thing that I noticed in the past week, is how uncomfortable everyone, except SWMBO, is around me at meal time. Everyone wants to apologize for consuming huge mounds of food in front of me. I have to ensure them that it is ok, eat away. It does not bother me. Until recently, I never really noticed how much we as an American society eat. I was speaking with a loved one about the size of portions in Europe. She had stated that her sister or someone had gone and the portions were very slight. I explained to her, that it was the norm in Europe. Only in our American excess, do we pile enough food on one plate to feed three people. I really see that now and it bothers me that I could not control myself in the past to consume a proper portion.

Life continues to be a new amazing adventure. 4 weeks out and I am doing great. I feel great, am exercising 2-3 times per week. Pain in my back is gone, I am sleeping well and truly look forward to my future as the lesser man.

No comments: