Sunday, March 9, 2008

Feb 19, 2008 - I can live with that.

Face Progression - What a difference 4 months makes.

As I ponder the last year and all the exciting changes that I have experienced, I cannot help but wonder what would have happened to me in the future, if I had not taken the drastic step of Gastric Bypass Surgery. Think about it. This is freaking drastic. I have a pouch, the size of a walnut, that will forever be the receiver of the food that gets delivered to my maw. Let me repeat, the size of a walnut. If I had not had this plumbing change, I would still be eating a 16 ounce steak, a large baked potato, don't forget the salad with cheese, maybe add 2 or 3 glasses of red wine, holy crap, where is my dessert - hmmmm - I'll have the Creme Brulee, and please bring an extra spoon.

It was no wonder I needed a tentmaker to make my clothes and I really don't think I could live with that.

That meal would have cost somewhere around $45.00. Now I eat about 1/4 cup of food per sitting. Yesterday my wife and I went to L&L Hawaiian Barbecue. We ordered the small Teriyaki Chicken Meal. It had the chicken, a scoop of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. $4.81 and we took home leftover chicken and we were both stuffed. Assuming three nights out per week, this life change will save me $120.00 per week, $3,840.00 per year and assuming I am blessed to live another 40 or so years, $152,160.00 over that 40 years.

I can live with that!

Four months ago, I could not walk 1/4 of a mile without extreme pain. It hurt to sit in my chair at work. It hurt to get out of bed. Hell, it hurt to get in bed. I would walk one flight of stairs, and could not talk for 10 minutes, trying to recover my breathing to normal. I had high blood pressure, I had been talking blood pressure medications for 15 years. I had trouble tying my shoes, putting on my socks. I was tired all the time. had not been to the gym in years. I couldn't golf anymore. I couldn't play softball. I really couldn't even play house! Basically, my life physically, pretty much sucked.

I am sure that I couldn't have lived like that,well, not much longer anyways.

Today the only thing that hurts is my coxxix. I just like saying that word. Coxxix. Seems as I lose my ASS, I have less padding, and that oh so precious butt padding put less pressure on my tail bone. It is getting better, but that is all thats is really bothering me. I am working out 4-5 times per week. This week Monday, 45 minutes on the treadmill averaging 3 mph. Worked upper body on resistance weights, then I went to the batting cages and hit softballs for 30 minutes. No pain after workout or the next day, except for the coxxix. Then today (Tuesday) another 35 minutes on the treadmill averaging 3 mph and 30 minutes on the resistance weights working the lower body. Lucky me, my coxxix does not hurt today. Oh, and I have not taken any Blood Pressure medications since the day before the surgery and my BP is normal. How cool is that?

I know I can live with this!

Even though I have never thought myself a depressed personality type, I wonder now if I wasn't really depressed and just did not acknowledge it. I think back 4 months ago, and I really did not like visiting my customers. People who did not know me, automatically thought I was lazy and did not work hard. How could I get that fat, and be a good worker. I had to work extra hard to prove that I was not lazy, yet I was too tired and hurting so much, there is no way I could do my job with the utmost excellence. I hated getting out of bed in the morning. I was exhausted by 3:00 PM and of course needed a candy bar to get me through the afternoon.

I could have lived with that, but not for very long!

I love going to work now. I love going and seeing my customers. I have lots of energy. I know they are not judging me because of my size. I am shrinking right before them in width and depth, but growing in stature as I better serve them and meet their needs. Many have not even recognized me with the changes, but all are very happy for me. I am even closing more deals now, more confidence, better looking, stronger presence.

I can definitely live with this!

So where am I you ask. I will tell you. I am in a very good place. I am healthy, eating right, happy and content in my skin. I am in the gym. I am in the batting cage. I like myself, I am ready for whatever comes at me. I love getting up in the morning. I am loving playing house again and everything is really, really good!

I am in a really good place, except for my coxxix, but, I know, I can live with that!

No comments: