Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Mar 11, 2008 - Apprehension to Joy

I cannot say that yesterday was easy. I believe it was harder for me then when I had my surgery. Especially with the amount of research that I now have done pertaining to GBS, I believe for Sandy's surgery, I would have liked to remain ignorantly blissful!. She left the pre-op prep room about 2:00 pm. Knowing that a skilled GBS surgeon can do the Lap RNY in about 45 min to an hour, when the clock passed 3:30 pm, I knew there were issues. I was in a good IM with my buddy Gwennie the Pooh when I looked at my watch again and it said 4:00 pm. What was left of my fingernails quickly was removed, when I saw our Surgeon, Dr. Thomas White walking toward me with a smile.


Sandy was out of surgery and she did great. He was very happy with the outcome, but, and there it is, the big but, he had to go in and do the surgery open. The adhesions were too bad from the previous surgeries in the abdominal region. But, other than that, all was well. Relief immediately ensued.

At abot 5:45 PM she was wheeled up to her room in 5E. Again, I need to say, these are some great nurses here. They got her checked in, hooked her up to the morphine PCA, oooohhh! Morphine - her BP monitor, her oxygen monitor and her IV. Sandy slept on and off for a few hours and was resting well. She has the fabulous OnQ Painbuster Installed, and pain management is well in order. About midnight, we got her up to walk and she took a lap around the 5E wing. All in all, she did really well.


Tomorrow, we expect the leak test, removal from the PCA, drinking 1 beautiful cool ounce of water per hour and introduction of the Loritab for pain control.


Thanks for following the blog and for your prayers for SWMBO and myself. We appreciate all of you.

No comments: